In April and May 2017, Atomium – European Institute for Science Media and Democracy (EISMD) run a citizen engagement and media campaign on the issue of The Next Generation Internet as the latest deployment of the REIsearch Platform. The campaign was developed in collaboration with leading European research organisations, media, policy makers and stakeholders from both the public, private and third sector with the aim of:
– create a responsible and informed multi-stakeholder debate on the issue;
– create and promote access to reliable information on the issue;
– increase inter-disciplinary and inter-sectoral debate;
– collect and analyse results to deliver to researchers and policymakers;
– bridge the gap between science, society and policy;
– increase dialogue and discussion between science, media, society and policy.
The results of the campaign were presented in Brussels, on the 6th and 7th of June 2017, during the Next Generation Internet Summit held with the intention to support the European Commission to build a strategy together with leading policy makers, renewed innovators, researchers and citizens to foster the development of the internet, as a powerful, open, data-driven, user-centric, interoperable platform ecosystem, for the benefit of citizens and companies.