I live in Milano, where i got my degree in Philosophy at Università Statale and enjoyed my passion for digital culture at the Master in Media Science and Technology at University of Pavia. In the ’00 I’ve been into media activism and political visual art for 10 years, working on precarity, social production, material and immaterial labor in creative and service industries.
I co-developed several projects in the context of the Italian and European post-1999 movement, such as Chainworkers.org, EuroMayDay.org, and the icon of Italian precarious laborers and their struggles, San Precario. In 2005, I was part of the initiators of Serpica Naro media hoax, the fictive fashion designer accepted to the official calendar of Milano Fashion Week. Since then, I’ve been developing the Serpica Naro Collective brand and its non-profit association with several events and initiatives. I’ve been earning my bread working for advertising agencies as copywriter, content manager and social media strategist.
From February 2013 to 2017 I joined Arduino team to give my contribution on digital strategy and special projects on wearables.
NOW I’M BUSY ON
In the past years I started getting interested in digital manufacturing especially regarding the way it could accelerate the process of spreading open-fashion, micro-social-enterprises and p2p economies. I’ve been exploring these topics co-founding two projects: Openwear (2009/2012) and Wefab.it .
I’ve finally started a Makerspace in Milan in 2014: WeMake Makerspace and Fablab.
COME AND VISIT ME IN MILAN!
I WROTE ARTICLES FOR
Digicult – Enjoy digital culture
CheFuturo – Lunario dell’innovazione
I PUBLISHED PAPERS ON:
- Zoe Romano, Serena Cangiano – Chapter: “Open Sourcing Wearables: the Impact of Open Technologies and User Engagement in the Design of Body-Borne Interactive Products” in Empowering Users through Design – Interdisciplinary Studies and Combined Approaches for Technological Products and Services – Bihanic, David – Springler 2015
- Serena Cangiano, Zoe Romano, Massimo Banzi – “From wearable computing to the design of interactive open wearables”. The impact of Open Design and Open Hardware on the design of wearable computing applications, in: Proceeding of EAD European Academy of Design Conference, Crafting the future, Gothenburg 2013
- Serena Cangiano, Zoe Romano, Matteo Loglio – “The growth of Digital Social Innovation: an open source approach to support the innovation for the societal good” for EAD conference Design for Next’, Rome – April 2017
I WAS ON A JURY PANEL FOR:
I WAS A SPEAKER AT
– Wearable Futures – Exploring the future of wearables – Ravensbourne – London 2013
– Alternative Fashion Systems – Lecture at Parsons New School of design – New York 2012
– ACRE – Framing a competitive future – The creative and knowledge economy in European cities – Barcelona 2010
– CREAM, International Festival for Arts and Media – Yokohama 2009
– UNIFORME – Espace Temporaire – http://www.grutli.ch – Geneva 2009
– WinterCamp – Institute of Network Cultures – Amsterdam 2009
– Migrant / Media / Metropolis New Labour Struggle in the global city – Amsterdam 2008 -Migration and media-activists gather with theorists and labour organizers to discuss and share best practices in the fight against precarity and insecure labour conditions.
– Schiller Festival – “Utopia Reversed – An Assault on Neurospace” – Weimar 2005 – A two-day meeting about new forms of art and activism hitting the global mind
– Hoax is More – Furtive (re)production et Xavier Society for the Blind – Paris 2005
Do u want to get in touch? Write me: Zoe Romano – info(at)dazoescope.com